3.23.2006

What the Pho?

For some time now, people have been asking me to post some of the recipes I use. (Drumroll please) I now present my first ever recipe on the blog. Tonight I made Pho (Pronounced Fuh.)
It is a Vietnamese soup, that I find quite tasty. I had it for the first time in Seattle when I went to visit Roberda over Christmas break. I couldn't find any around here, so I went scouring for recipes. The following is my adaptation of Pho. I hope you enjoy, if you make it, let me know how you like it.

Recipe: Pho Vietnamese soup.
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 30-45 min
Cook Time: 30-45 min
Serves: 3-5 Hungry people in fairly large bowls

Ingredients:

6 cans of beef broth
4-6 star anise
4 whole cinnamon sticks
1 small chunk of fresh ginger, sliced into about 6-8 matchstick pieces
1-2 large bunches of Cilantro, rough chopped
3 bundles of green onions sliced
1 can sliced bamboo shoots
Pinch salt and pepper
1/8-1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
1-2 tsp. Sirachi Asian chili sauce
Star Rice noodles
any combination of;
1-2 cups sliced/diced chicken breast
1-2 cups sliced/diced beef
1-2 cups peeled shrimp
Garnish;
1-2 bunches fresh basil leaves, sliced or ripped
Some type of nuclear hot pepper (Asian pepper, jalapeno, serrano, habanero) sliced
3 limes sectioned
3-4 cups bean sprouts

Pour the broth into a huge saucepan, along with the star anise, cinnamon sticks, and ginger. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 min. While simmering, add the hoisin and sirachi sauce (may need more or less to taste) After the stock starts to boil, prepare the noodles as per the instructions (cover with hot water and let sit for 15-25 min.) Also start another large saucepan with water to boil. After the stock has simmered, remove the anise, ginger, and cinnamon sticks. Stir in fish sauce. Leave on medium-high. Add the meat that takes the longest to cook, let cook mostly through, then add any other meats and bamboo shoots. Add salt and pepper. About five minutes prior to serving, add cilantro and green onions. Take the noodles that have been soaking and add to the boiling water for about 2 min. Remove enough noodles to fill about 1/4-1/2 of your serving bowl, and place in each bowl. Cover the noodles with the Pho, making sure to get some of the meats and veggies in each dish. Garnish with the fresh basil (A small handful per bowl is great!) a lime or two, the bean sprouts, and the hot pepper slices to taste. Make extra Hoisin and Sirachi sauce available for adding in. Enjoy! Makes 4 Large bowls worth. I found out that a nice cold Dead Guy Ale washed it down wonderfully!



This is a photo I took of my Pho, just before devouring it!

3 Comments:

At 3/23/2006 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schmancy! I'm coming to your house for dinner. I'm glad to know I've influenced someone's culinary life. Someday, when my life is different, I shall use your lovely recipe, but for now, I can hit any of the local Pho shops and get me a big bowl for a buck fiddy. Bon apetit, my friend!

 
At 3/31/2006 12:53 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Souptastic!

 
At 5/19/2006 9:10 AM, Blogger Shannon P. said...

Sounds yummy :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home