2.15.2006

Flashback

Have you ever had one of those moments where several things happen in a few moments, and you are taken back to a time in your mind of something really cool? It may be something really small, like a sound or smell, or bigger--like something you see or do. (Dane Cook does a really funny bit about this, by the way) Anyway, I had one of those moments this evening. I was on my way home from Summit, and after a discussion about Italian Cream Sodas (Cremosa), I decided to stop by Coffee In Motion to get one. Last week I saw a sign out front that said "We make the best Italian Cream Sodas". Many years ago I was introduced to these things. My parents and I went to the coast, and for some reason, one of my sister's boyfriends from high school came along. We got to Newport, and he insisted that we stop in and get one of these "soda things". It was a little hole in the wall thing where the Italian Mafia version of the soup Nazi was serving as a barista, before Americans knew what a barista was. Anyway, that was the best one I had ever had. So I see this sign, and decided to take the Pepsi challenge. And I will be danged if they aren't indeed, the best Italian cream sodas I have ever had. Back to the story at hand.

So I swing into the big red double decker bus coffee shack, located next to the adult shop on Mission St. in Salem, and order up my blackberry cream soda. Well, I got a 24oz. soda the other day, and sort of accidentally ordered a 32oz this evening. No biggie, more blackberry goodness for me to enjoy. Anyway, the flashback. The coffee chick hands me back my gigantic non-biodegradable styrofoam cup filled with ice, syrup, soda, and cream. It was crisp and cool out, with not a cloud anywhere that could be seen, and an enormous orangish moon rising. I was immediately transported to the summer of 1998. I had visions of sitting in my (at that time) brand new Ford Ranger in Duncan, Oklahoma at Dave's Cave, which is a brew through, buying my "Ocean Water" beverage. They were fantastic. Some sort of blue thing that was sweet and lemon-limey at the same time. Thankfully, I omitted the chick from Oklahoma from my little flashback, but it was a nice wholesome little vision. It made me think a little though. I really miss that truck. It was the nicest car I have ever had, and I wish I had it today. I also was thinking that on some teeny-weeny levels, I miss Oklahoma. I had a lot of fun there, and made a lot of good friends. It also made me miss the Army that much more. Once again, solidifying that what I am in the process of doing is the right thing, and in a couple of years, I will rejoin my family of soldiers.

Anyway, it doesn't sound that fascinating now that I have re-read it, but I get these kinds of little mental pauses (mentalpause?) from time to time, and I thought I would share this one with you.

3 Comments:

At 2/16/2006 8:13 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Are you going through mentalpause? THAT's why you bought a cold drink on a cold night.

 
At 2/16/2006 11:56 PM, Blogger Gunslinger said...

Or the time it had 5 miles on the clock, the first time I got it stuck on a tank trail on Sill. Had to have a Humvee pull me out. I took it back to the dealer the next day for a complimentary detailing. Or, the time I was racing a guy, and I pounded second so hart that I broke the shift knob off. Or the time I broke a shock hanger ramping it off of a speed buump (waranty repair number two @ 400 miles) Yeah, I miss that truck. All I can say is: Lease = Drive it like you stole it. It was under waranty, and full coverage insurance. Why not pound the crap out of it? I also remember how hard you laughed when I would do that throtle thing that made the whole car shake like a sketcher looking for a hit of ice. Good times!

 
At 5/19/2006 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in the car with you when you pulled the geer shifter off. I was for sure we were goign to die LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home