2.11.2006

Rimjobbing

Hahaha, got you all with that headline, didn't I?

I am pleased--scratch that--thrilled beyond words to announce the beginning for plans of Road Trip 2006! Oh yes, it will be done. As it stands right now, it will be a mid-August trip. This year, as opposed to most other years, we will be focusing our trip around one national park, instead of many. Once again we will be heading to one of the seven wonders. Another Grand Canyon trip! As most of you who know me are aware, Matt and I made the hike to the bottom and back two years ago. It was one of the most difficult and amazing experiences of my life. This year we have decided to do a Rim-to-Rim hike.

Yes, I know that August is a danger month in the canyon, but so was June, when we did it last time. Yes, I know it is 25 miles. Yes, I know it is going to be hard. No, I cannot even begin to think about not doing it.

The plan, in its rawest form is this: Leave Salem in a rental car, head straight to Vegas. Spend one night in Vegas, head out to the south rim. Get to the south rim, park the car and catch a shuttle to the North Rim (a 4 1/2 hour shuttle trip) Get to the north rim, and camp near the trailhead. Get up around 4:00 am, and head into the canyon from the north rim. We will hike the 14.5 miles to Phantom Ranch on day one of the hike. Spend the afternoon in the 140 degree heat, and then sleep (this is actually harder than it sounds in that heat) get up around 3:30-4:00 am and head back to the trail south. Make the nine mile hike (faster than last time) to the South Rim. Get to the top, spend two nights in a canyon lodge so we can recover. From there it is back to Vegas for one or two nights. The route home from Vegas is as of yet undetermined. This will be one of the greatest things I will have done, and may ever do. I am excited beyond words about this. We will be getting hom a week or two before we have to take vacation from our vacation on the houseboat on Trinity lake. It will be needed I think.

Since I like pictures. . .

Some of you may or may not know, but the climates and terrain vary greatly between the North Rim, and the South Rim. So here is a picture of each to represent how different they are:

North Rim;




South Rim;


Just a mere 25 miles apart.

2 Comments:

At 2/12/2006 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So in Oregon-speak, it's like the scenery change from Hood River to The Dalles--a 20 mile, rapid downward spiral that always dizzily dismayed me. Good luck, fellows! I'll come visit you in Vegas!

 
At 2/12/2006 3:07 PM, Blogger everyday.wonder said...

That sounds like an outstandingly ambitious hike, way to set the bar high! Count me in for some "training" hikes this summer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home