6.26.2005

D-Day, minus eight and a half hours.

So I have all of my clothes laid out, my backpack is full of my school stuff, my other backpack is full of my gym clothes, and my food for tomorrow is in the fridge. Tomorrow is the official start of the real phase two. It is the culmination of everything I have been doing for the last 2 months. At 0800 (that's 8 a.m. to you civilians) I have to report to my unit for my two week annual training event. I have no idea what I will be doing, other than inspection prep. I also have no idea how long of a day I will be working, but I do know that at 1830 (that's 6:30 p.m.) I have to be at Chemeketa for my summer math class. I must say, that I am more nervous about my math class than working at my unit in a high visibility atmosphere for the next two 15 days. Getting by, and actually excelling, is something that I managed to do well while I was in the Army, and it is something that you don't really lose.

So, in closing, I will be pretty busy for at least the next two weeks, and may not have the chance to do a lot of blogging. I will leave you all with a poem that I found while I was in basic training, that for some reason, gave me great strength when the going got tough. To this day, I still look back on it.

I was that which others did not want to be.
I went where others feared to go, and did what others failed to do.
I asked nothing from those who gave nothing, and reluctantly accept the
thought of eternal loneliness. . . Should I fail.
I have seen the face of terror; felt the stinging cold of fear; and enjoyed
the sweet taste of a moments love.
I have cried, pained, and hoped. . . But most of all, I have lived times
that others would say were best forgotten.
At least someday I will be able to say that I was proud of what I was. . .
A soldier.

-Unknown

4 Comments:

At 6/27/2005 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, believe it or not I will miss your regular blogging. However, because you've left a nice little storage of cool links, I think I'll keep myself occupied.

 
At 7/03/2005 6:56 PM, Blogger everyday.wonder said...

Hope everything is going well with your new position. The brief comment you made the other day, it sounded like you've got yourself quite a setup.

See you soon!

 
At 7/09/2005 9:55 AM, Blogger everyday.wonder said...

Hey, come back! Yer not allowed to stay away for that long...

 
At 7/12/2005 1:20 PM, Blogger MikeyPDX said...

Great poem. Can't believe I never saw that before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home