4.29.2005

Freedom isn't free.

So on Monday, Jake, Matt and I went to OSU to see a lecture from Sgt. Don Malarkey. If any of you don't know who he is, he was one of the members of Easy company 1st of the 506th infantry. A regiment of the 101st airborne division during WWII. This is the company that Stephen Ambrose's book Band of Brothers was based upon. Well some of these guys are still alive, and I was fortunate enough to be in a room with greatness Monday night. It really was humbling. Sgt. Malarkey is from Astoria, Oregon, and currently resides in Salem. He basically recanted some tales from the war, not much combat details, but told great stories about friends, training, and true heroism. I am really glad that I was able to see this man in person, and hear him speak. He was actually pretty funny, and managed to make fun of the French, and scold the Brits for Operation Market Garden. The topic of the lecture was Freedom Isn't Free. He didn't go into too much detail, and I don't think he really had too. If you have not seen the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers, you are missing out on an amazing story, not to mention one of the best pieces of film ever, in my humble opinion. Anyway, since it is way late, I am going to end here, if you want to know more about the lecture, just ask me, Jake, or Matt.

2 Comments:

At 4/29/2005 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a pretty interesting lecture. I would know more about "Band of Brothers" except that I prefer to take care of my son.

Ok, I had to throw one shot. You're peaking my interest, though, to watch the mini-series.

 
At 5/09/2005 3:18 PM, Blogger Jake Shore said...

I'm just glad I could hear one of these guys talk in person. In 20 years none of these guys will be around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home