11.11.2005

Did you eat today? Hug a farmer. Do anything else? Hug a veteran.


Today is veterans day. Let's all thank God for the freedoms we have in this great nation of ours, and while we are at it, lets take some time to thank the brave men and women who have fought and died for those freedoms.

If you know any veterans, please, shake their hand, welcome them home, and say thanks for everything they sacrificed for YOU. Right now, there are several hundred thousand Americans in harms way all over the world. We are coming up on the holidays, and I know from experience how hard it is to be 7000 miles from home over Thanksgiving and Christmas. These brave Americans have volunteered to leave their families and homes, so that you can stay warm with your family in your house. Please just remember that no matter where your political affiliations lie, or your opinion of our engagements afar, or our president, these people are where the metal meets the meat. Give them the respect they deserve, and honor them with your thanks, thoughts, and prayers today.

Once again, here is the poem:

I was that which others did not want to be.

I went where others feared to go, and did what others failed to do.

I asked nothing from those who gave nothing, and reluctantly accept the thought of eternal loneliness. . . Should I fail.

I have seen the face of terror; felt the stinging cold of fear; and enjoyed
the sweet taste of a moments love.

I have cried, pained, and hoped. . .

But most of all, I have lived times that others would say were best forgotten.

At least someday I will be able to say that I was proud of what I was. . .

A soldier.

-Unknown

1 Comments:

At 11/14/2005 10:18 PM, Blogger everyday.wonder said...

As always, thanks for reminding us to pay attention what others are giving. I am continually amazed by the actions of these guys in Iraq, taking individual suffering Iraqis under their personal care, even small children. That, all while others are busy trying to bomb and slaughter both them and those they are protecting.

This last Sunday, we talked about laying down our lives for each other after the pattern of what Jesus did for us; this is something that soldiers sometimes have to do more literally than the rest of us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home