11.02.2005

What the hell did I get myself into?

Well, it is official. I have begun my first ever NaNoWriMo competition. The concept? Write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days, during the month of November. I was really excited as this process was getting ready kick off. But now that November is here, I am thinking that I am pretty much screwed for getting it done. I currently have a cold, work, and school. All three of which are about to pick up quite a bit. Well, the cold is actually almost gone. There is also Summit to plan for, which is more important than writing a novel. Anyway, it comes out to be something like 1670 words a day, but I am going to miss several days because of National Guard drill, and a few other things. I am, however, proud to say that I have just finished my fisrt set of writing! And ahead of my prescribed word count, by almost a thousand words! My unofficial count for day one is: (Drumroll please.) 2874! Wuhoo. I just got on a spree and started writing. I have no idea where it is going from here, but I am sure I will give it the ole college try.

Here is an excerpt... The first two paragraphs.

Hendricks’ eyes popped open. It was cold out, and adrenaline was shooting
through his body. Something had startled him awake, but what? It was
pitch black in his sector, and all of the other guys were asleep. Maybe it
was nothing. That is what Hendricks told himself. Must have been a
bad dream. There was something different though. The hair on the
back of his neck was stiff, and he could sense goose bumps on his arms inside of
his armor. No, this was something else-- Hendricks had felt this
before. That was what was bothering him, and making his adrenaline surge
even harder.

First Sergeant Doug Hendricks had been in every major
engagement that the confederation had been involved with in the last 35
years. He was an old war dog. Wounded more times than he wished to
remember, he was a hero to the citizens of the confederation, and a legend among
the troops. That is why this feeling he was now having was so
troublesome. It was that knotted gut feeling that left your mouth dry and
sour. A noise to the right startled his attention, only to realize it was
just one of the men turning in his sleep.


So, wish me luck, and I am sure as the month wears on, I will be blogging less. But I won't forget about my loving audience.

1 Comments:

At 11/02/2005 11:13 AM, Blogger Tim said...

I've only just got 1048. I had to work until 10 last night, which means I didn't get home until like 10:30. By then I was too wound up to write. I finally made myself around 11:30 and went about a half hour. I might post an excerpt...but it's not that great or exciting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home