1.19.2005

The French Robin Hood Character in Shrek

I was at Summit tonight, and one of the sub-topics discussed was why the Robin Hood character in Shrek was French. My only conclusion was that it was so that he would be easilly beaten. (And by a woman no less.) I was doing some looking on the IMDB, and found nothing titled Robin Hood that had anything to do with France. If anyone has any insight about why that character, who is always portrayed as an Englishman, was portrayed as French, let me know.

When combing through the Robin Hood stuff, I found this article about a wierd Robin Hood show from the 80's.

I did, however, find some info on a play called Le Jue De Robin Et Marion, apparently known as a classic French Comic Opera. Wow, that sounds really bad. Other google searches I did, seem to back up that this is aFrench version of the Robin Hood story. Interesting. Perhaps that is the connection.

I found this article, explaining that it isn't Robin Hood, but rather Monsieur Hood.

If you want to know all sorts of meaningless trivia about Robin Hood, click here.

1 Comments:

At 1/20/2005 2:12 PM, Blogger Jake Shore said...

I think the creators of Shreck just wanted an excuse to make fun of the French. And since Robin Hood has often been portrayed as...shall we say, a little light in the leatards. I can respect that, despite the historical incaccuracies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home